After the most recent developments regarding COVID-19 and the further three weeks lockdown we can’t see a way in which we will be able to open in May so we regret to inform you that we cannot accept any May check-ins and the park will be remaining closed until 31st May at the earliest. We will await the government and industry advise to move forward with an opening date, whilst this is hard news for both us and yourselves, the health of us all has to be put first and foremost.
We are so grateful to all our customers who have been so supportive over the past few weeks and we hope everyone does their upmost to stay safe and hopefully come through the other side smiling and ready to rebuild our communities.
We will automatically postpone all affected bookings, customers are welcome to rearrange dates/alter their bookings as soon as we are able. We will transfer full deposits/payments to new dates, we will also be happy to carry bookings over to 2021 season if this is more appropriate.
If you do not wish to postpone and want to cancel your booking in total please contact us by phone or email and we will endeavour to assist you as soon as possible. We understand everyone is in a difficult situation currently so we completely understand if you need to cancel and request a refund, however can we put out a heartfelt plea to our customers to only consider cancelling/refund where totally necessary, we would much prefer to honour your bookings and see you at a later date.
For any bookings made via Pitchup.com, we are more than happy to transfer your booking to new dates if you wish, just let us know. If you want to cancel your booking you will need to do so via pitchup.com.
We wish you all health and happiness over the next few weeks. We hope to see you all in the not too distant future.
Many thanks for your understanding,
Rachael, Ian and the team
